Tuesday, May 04, 2004

No longer an Atheist

It appears that I am no longer an atheist.
Epicurus rejected the existence of Platonic forms and an immaterial soul, and he said that the gods have no influence on our lives. Epicurus also thought skepticism was untenable, and that we could gain knowledge of the world relying upon the senses. He taught that the point of all one's actions was to attain pleasure (conceived of as tranquility) for oneself, and that this could be done by limiting one's desires and by banishing the fear of the gods and of death.[More]
I subscribe to all of those beliefs (well, except for limiting one's desires, but I can work with that). I'm an Epicurian!
Cool, now I can act all snooty in restaurants and send my food back and stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home