Saturday, June 05, 2004

Reagan Passes


Former US President Ronald Reagan has died, aged 93, after a long struggle with Alzheimer's disease.[More]


I'd heard on the radio that the end was near for him, but then Patricia said that the New York Times said that the news of his immeninent death was exaggerated.

When I came home this evening, though, I was running down the battery on my cell phone by having it act as a radio (I feel for it much as Brian does for his Dell) and Cokie Roberts was talking about Reagan. The lights finally went on for me and I hit the web.

I remember the 1980 election. I was attending a Catholic school and we polled the kids. My vote was for Carter, and I believe I was alone. When everyone asked why, I said that we should support him because he was the President.

How times change.

I don't know if we'll ever know the real truth behind the Iranian hostage release, the Iranian negotiations for the release of the Lebanese hostages, or the Iran-Contra affair, but at this passing of a former President, I feel that we should remember what Reagan stood for: smaller government, peace through strength, and the end of global tensions. We've all benefitted from his stewardship.
I tried to not be snarky. Most of the paragraphs weren't snarky. I just couldn't contain myself at the end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home