Wednesday, June 30, 2004

What would a Clinton know about a sound economy? Let me think back...

Damn you, Brian, for putting me in the unenviable position of defending the two things I hate most about goverment: Sen. Clinton and taxes. But, this is the charge I must take up and, since I am unemployed, it's not like there's anything else pressing.

Due Process. Is the tax system not due process? Is Congress not the place to establish a tax code? Where does your whining about a lack of due process originate? Or did Terry sign in as you and post about the much hated taxes that the govmint and them there revenooers steal right from our paychecks? (No offense, Terry)

1%. 1% of the population pays 22% of our taxes. That's what I learned on a West Wing repeat on Bravo recently (thank you, Mom and Dad, for letting me enjoy your cable). But we all know that the economy is dependent on the people who are least likely to save: the 70% of our population that makes less than $200,000. The middle class bears the brunt of the taxes (despite the draconian tax rates of the wealthy — again, wah!). The middle class needs their money. Wes Clark had a great idea in saying that if you make something like $55,000, you should get all of your money back. Working Americans need that money.

I'm not going to say that taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society. To say so would suggest that life before the Civil War was uncivilized. OK, it was barbarically cruel to all too many, but to some, it was civilized. The institution of the graduated income tax does not appear to have increased our civility. In fact, based on our current Vice President's potty mouth in our most hallowed halls, it would seem that our civilization is rapidly crumbling.

OK, so let's talk about national elections. Please check my facts and math, as those aren't really my strong suits. Since 1936, Dems have sat in the White House 40 of the last 68 years (59%, by my admittedly pitiful calculations). So, two of the last five or six of the last ten really doesn't mean all that much to me. Although 60% is a failing grade in school, it's a blockbuster approval rating in a poll, a landslide in an election.

I wouldn't mind the fact that Wyoming gets more money for homeland security than New York. I wouldn't mind that my tax money is going to promote abstinence as the only effective form of birth control. I wouldn't mind that my taxes pay for religious nuts to subpoena medical records from universities to determine if anyone violated a stupid law. I wouldn't mind that my tax money goes to hire actors to tell me how good the crappy Medicare "reforms" are. I wouldn't mind that my taxes are paying a company that was awarded no-bid, risk-free contracts and then overbilled anyway while providing the Vice President with substantial payouts. I wouldn't mind any of this if it didn't come at the expense of a solid economy during wartime and everyone was paying their share. Rich people should pay more in taxes. It's as simple as that.

If you asked everyone in America if we could raise taxes on people who earn $1,000,000 or more, very few people would object. Class warfare? Puh-leez. That's soooo 2000.
So, I'm guessing your read the Gore Vidal book about FDR? You should hear what he wrote about Jack Kennedy's dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home