Thursday, August 26, 2004

The color of my Kool-Aid®™



Dole added: "And here's, you know, a good guy, a good friend. I respect his record. But three Purple Hearts and never bled that I know of. I mean, they're all superficial wounds. Three Purple Hearts and you're out."

A rapid response:

Crewmate Sandusky said Monday, "I was there when he got wounded. I saw the blood. I don't care what Dole said."

So, how about Dole? As one blogger wrote, "..there are conflicting stories about the injury that gave him the second purple heart. And parts of the story don't add up." This is, in fact, referring to the second Purple Heart.

As for the first:

In a 1988 campaign-trail autobiography, here's how Dole described the incident that earned him his first Purple Heart: "As we approached the enemy, there was a brief exchange of gunfire. I took a grenade in hand, pulled the pin, and tossed it in the direction of the farmhouse. It wasn't a very good pitch (remember, I was used to catching passes, not throwing them). In the darkness, the grenade must have struck a tree and bounced off. It exploded nearby, sending a sliver of metal into my leg--the sort of injury the Army patched up with Mercurochrome and a Purple Heart."

The wound was so minor that he led another patrol two nights later.

...but...

He does not mention that others were also injured by his misguided throw -- which Woodruff's account attributes to an enemy machine gun.


Back to the second, here's an extensive article, from which it sounds like Dole got his second Purple Heart through actions of heroism normal to the soldiers of WWII. However, he can't state everything clearly -- or get complete agreement from all of him comrades -- about the events of that time. No, I'm not expecting him to. I expect him to not impugn the service of others with complete fabrications.

As a member of Dole's platoon, Stanley Jones, put it in a recent interview, Dole "was a good soldier, but no more a hero than any other soldier."


Dole should stop being such a good soldier and try harder to be a hero.

Ronald Reagan suffered wounds? What? When he was liberating that one concentration camp?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home