Friday, August 06, 2004

Politics According to Rorschach


Quick, tell me what you see here:


There are any possible number of answers: 1. Chimp boy making fool of himself with raw vegetables, 2. Decisive leader illustrating his point mid bite, 3. When did his hair go this curly?

I'm not going to do a point by point response to Shawn's lengthy and erudite post. No kidding - good stuff. The reason is not out of disrepect for his legitimate views, but rather out of the fact that there is nothing that I can say that will change his mind.

"Hey, look - A an autographed photograph of Kerry from 'Nam adding another VC ear to his necklace!"

"Oh yeah, how do we know the picture is real? And even if it is, shouldn't a real war time leader also have his own ear necklace? Where's W's? Didn't they have VC in the Alabama Air Guard?"

And so it goes . . .

I'm far more intrigued by the post script - are the primaries at fault for the state of our selections?

I'm slowly beginning the suspect that they are. Who votes in primaries? I sure as hell don't. I try to, but if I don't, it's not like the end of the world. It's like practice voting, and I don't need the practice.

Who donates thousands or millions of dollars to primary candidates? I like to think that my money has a chance - thus I'll only give somebody money if they've got a proven track record and a shot at the big seat.

Who even puts a primary candidates sticker on their car? I'm not even sure where to get them.

I submit, gentlemen, that the primaries have become the haven of the extreme ends of U.S. political belief. I submit that the primaries exist only to give Al Sharpton, Bob Jones University, MoveOn, the NRA, and the remaining professional advocacy groups a forum - as their voices will carry no weight during the general election, and any association with them after the primaries is often harmful!

I submit, gentlemen, that the time has come to ban the primaries, allow the parties to choose their own candidates at the convention and to leave us the hell alone until August!
My theory on drafting people for public office will be taken up at the next meeting. Quick! Everybody to the Aqua-Car! Na na na na na na na fish-car! Na na na na . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home