Monday, August 30, 2004

The Real Police State


Third-grader arrested for disorderly conduct
ESPANOLA, N.M. (AP) — An Espanola third-grader was handcuffed and arrested by police after hitting another student with a basketball, the child's mother and her lawyer say.

[ . . . ]

According to a juvenile citation for disorderly conduct, Jerry Trujillo was arrested Thursday and booked into the Espanola jail after he "got out of control and refused to go back to class."
[More . . .]

I am horrified to say that this doesn't surprise me in the least. Thanks to the Victim's Rights Movement, the Zero Tolerance Movement and the Child Safety Nazis, I'm seeing more and more of this.

I can pull from my files right now several juveniles who have been charged with FELONY child abuse because they got into fights at school with a person under the age of 17. I also have a young juvenile girl who was charged with misdemeanor theft when she took another girls shoes. The shoes were recovered before the charges were filed.

Oh, and those setencing enhancers that the states all embraced for drug crimes committed within 1000' of a school zone? I haven't defended a single adult with that enhancer - they've all been children (many of whom are sharing their Ritalin).

Most of these statutes were enacted in the 1990s. Draw your own conclusions, puny Earthling.
Okay, I overstated my evidentiary case and you busted me for it. What do you want? A medal? How about one with a Combat "V"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home