Monday, August 16, 2004

Two Salient Points


OK, there are two things which must be pointed out:
... Bush treats bin Laden a lot like those wizards in the Harry Potter books treat He Who Must Not Be Named.

Since the beginning of 2003, in fact, Bush has mentioned bin Laden's name on only 10 occasions. And on six of those occasions it was because he was asked a direct question.

In addition, there were four times when Bush was asked about bin Laden directly but was able to answer without mentioning bin Laden's name himself.

Not once during that period has he talked about bin Laden at any length, or said anything substantive.

During the same period, for comparison purposes, Bush has mentioned former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein on approximately 300 occasions.

The last time Bush spoke protractedly about bin Laden was at a March 2003 news conference. Bush was asked then by Kelly Wallace of CNN why he so rarely mentioned bin Laden, and whether bin Laden was, in fact, dead or alive [...]

[Bush's answer:] "So I don't know where he is. You know, I just don't spend that much time on him, Kelly, to be honest with you ... I truly am not that concerned about him."
[More]


and


"A generation shaped by Vietnam must remember the lessons of Vietnam: When America uses force in the world, the cause must be just, the goal must be clear, and the victory must be overwhelming."
—George W. Bush, accepting the Republican nomination for president, August 3, 2000
[More]


I hate to vote against someone, but I am willing to do it this year. A comic recently characterized this race as Dum-dum vs. Seabiscuit, and I can see how both candidates look equally repulsive, but I have to reflect on a few things:

  1. The United States was never more secular than in the mid-to-late 90s.
  2. I never had trouble finding work during the mid-to-late 90s.
  3. The worst abuse of government power during the mid-to-late 90s was either a wacko nut's compound burning down or a Cuban kid being legally returned to his father.

I would like to return to a government similar to that of the mid-to-late 90s. I am not registered with either party. In the last two national elections, I voted third-party. In the off-season elections, I voted third-party.

This time? I'm going to vote block Democrat. How the hell did this happen? How did I get so pissed off that I'm willing to violate my third-party principles to make sure that Republicans are out of power?

The answer is as easy as Bush.
So much for our summer of love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home