Friday, September 24, 2004

Point/Counterpoint


If these terrorist groups must be cut off from funding (at all costs?), then why does the Justice department have more people working on cutting off funds from Cuba than on Al Qaeda? Why is John Ashcroft subpoenaing medical records from universities to determine if they have performed partial birth abortions? Why is Congress spending its precious time studiously ignoring the assault weapons ban that could easily slip guns in the hands of terrorists and trying to limit the powers of the court in regard to a phrase added to the Pledge of Allegiance in the 1950s?

As for the IRA, are you sure that no one in your family never sent any money that way? As for the Mason-Dixon line, didn't your family hang out in Halifax until the War of Northern Aggression ceased? The war that seemed like such a good way to clean the dirty Irish off the streets of New York city?

I'm not going to say that all wars are bad and racist. I'm not going to say that one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter. I do think there are absolute moral judgments about the goals and means for both cases. If we'd been invaded by the USSR, I'd be doing my best to recreate crucial scenes from "Red Dawn". Why? Because, just like President Bush said, I wouldn't like it very much if my country was being occupied.
Yeah, Brian, I'm a son of a bitch. What of it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home