Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Speaking of the weapons ban...


I asked my dad how he would feel if we doubled or tripled the police force and gave all of them assault weapons.

Now's a good time for you to ponder the same thing right.

Visions of jack-booted thugs dancing in your head? Can you see little Elian trembling? Good.

Do you feel safer knowing that when a state trooper pulls you over for doing 80 in a 65 that he has an AK-47 slung over his shoulder?

If not, then how do you feel about everyone having access to assault weapons, without the oversight or training of our police? Scares the hell out of me, and I (now) live in vaguely-rural NE Florida, and only leave the house rarely at that.

I believe that an armed society is a polite society (Jefferson?) and that we all have the right to bear arms in order to maintain well-regulated militias (Constitution?), but I'm not sure about how the assault weapons fit into everything. I didn't feel particularly oppressed by not being able to buy said weapons for the last decade. I don't think it would have prevented September 11th. I don't think that it will make America any safer.

I do think it's one of the many cases of Bush flip-flopping. He said he wanted to extend the ban, but didn't do squat about it.

I don't know if that gun Kery got in WV qualified under the ban. It looked like the pistol grip only became an issue if you sawed off the rest of the stock. However, I'm not a lawyer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home